13 August 2011

Week 28 - One Layer

We were delighted to see so many nations represented in our 'Colours of your Flag' challenge last week, how wonderful that the love of crafting links so many of us worldwide.

Once more we are back to the second week of the month and so our challenge is for a 
ONE LAYER CARD

If you are not sure of the principles of this genre, do check out our Guidelines at the top of our blog.
The special feature we would like to see this week is for you to 
USE INK
** This does include ink pads **
...hopefully in a way you haven't tried before.... or using a favourite technique.
If you can avoid using the computer this week, that would be great, but we wouldn't want to to miss a week if the computer is your only method of card making.

This week is very Chrissie, not very Mandi lol
I hate getting my fingers inky and don't do inky backgrounds ever! But, I had a bash.
This technique is in various forms around blog world, but, I kinda adapted in my own way!

I took an acryllic block and with my water brush added a few drops of water to LuminArte H2o's Persimmon and Pink Azalea, so I had puddles of colour. Using the water brush to pick up the colour I then dabbed a few areas onto the block. I knew roughly where I wanted them to be. You need to pay particular attention to how close the drops are as they spread lots and merge together. Great if that's what you want! I did and didn't as you can see. 
 [Also keep away from the edges of the block as it creates a line]
If your blobs look a little too wet it's best to take the excess off with the edge of a tissue, let it soak it up, rather than dab.
 Turn the block over and press onto your card. Hold for a few moments, lift off. Voila!
Once dry I stamped with the Flamingo [Stampabilities] added ribbon and gems.
You can use numerous different inks for this technique, watercolour crayons, and if you prefer you can also spritz with water for a different look. It's all about experimenting really and although I'm a complete novice at anything like this, I do have to admit I quite enjoyed it AND have clean fingers!



I went shopping for a mustard inkpad, but ended up buying the inks you see here instead... and I am delighted with them.
They are from Adirondack and the colours are Pebble, Lake Mist and Pesto.
I masked the card with Post Its and sponged the colours into the gap with some cut 'n' dry foam. (I have run out of spare Sponge Daubers, so I must order some more from Mandi!)
The stamps I used are from Indigo Blu, with just a few additional leaves from Inkylicious to fill in some gaps at the bottom.
The umbrella (umbellate) plant stamp was added after the upper masks had been removed. I find building up a scene in this way is really satisfying. If you haven't tried it, give it a go... you may enjoy it!
I find this one rather serene.

41 comments:

  1. Great challenge!! Off to have a think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, both of your cards are so beautiful in different ways, loving them!
    Kelly xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards and so very different from each other.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cards again, ladies. Not sure I'm up to this week's challenge - I must be the only person in the crafting world who doesn't have any inks. Though I'm sure I had a bottle of Quink (blue/black) somewhere!!LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning and thanks for another fun challenge!
    I´ve added mine!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ladies, hmmm, not sure about this week's challenge. I don't use inks either but I'll have a think on it.
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm another great challenge idea again C&M, you certainly get us thinking! great cards C&M and fellow LIMettes.............off for a play:O) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous cards again Chrissie and Mandi, a tricky one for me but I have had a go anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Chrissie and Mandi for another great challenge. This will be a challenge for me, but I'll do my best. Both of your cards are fabulous! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic challenge, this one really was a challenge for me, but enjoyed trying something I would probably would never have done (not sure I will try it again mind) heheh :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both are beautiful cards - you really know how to challenge us - off to brainstorm and get inky fingers lol Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a boundry pushing challenge it is this week! I suprised myself when my card happened!
    Thanks for making me try something new :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous challenge!! I had a blast as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great challenge and great cards ladies:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for a great challenge and great cards. :) Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my first time participating in your challenge and I really enjoyed myself....this particular card was way out of the box for me but definetely something I will try again.....your inspiration cards are so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mandi & Chrissie, what beautiful cards you've created. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration.

    Last week was my first time to participate. I hope to join in the fun again this week.

    -Martha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved this challenge - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there, Lovely challenge, I really like getting inky and my fingers are all euk, great!! Thanks again, Chrissie and Mandi, Gay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really love the idea of the acrylic block - have never tried that, and it turned out so great. Absolutely love your site! Always am excited when the email comes through, so I can check out the great entries and ideas! I don't have a blog set up, so I can't enter any of my LEM inspired cards, but that is OK - still love watching!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wanted to give you credit for inspiration but yet again, I couldn't stop leaving white space and had to ink the edges and add a couple other things. But I used ink in a new way and it's only one layer. Thank you for your blog! I love it!! http://apemadebymary.blogspot.com/2011/08/one-layer-music-themed-birthday-card.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. great challenge girls...I had great fun splattering my card...me and everything else in sight...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. stunning sample again girls brilliant theme too hugs cherylxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the wonderful challenge and inspiring samples. I'm glad I was able to play along this week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was a challenge, I don't do inky! Hope my creation passes muster. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Every week I learn something new on this site and love how everyone shares tips and inspirations.So glad I plucked up the courage to take part! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great challenge again ladies. These 1 layer cards always hurt my brain :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am impressed. All cards are simply stunning. Very, I am very pleased that so many people involved in the game "less is more." Thank you for a number of emotions and inspirations

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for a warm welcome. It's my first time at LIM and it's great to see all the lovely reactions. Bye, Franka

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for a great challenge ladies, inky isn't exactly me (I wish it was though!) but I loved trying a new technique (for me) so thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Could this be one of the best challenges so far? I think so. I have learned such a lot from the fab entries. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi there,

    Getting back into the swing of things at last...oooooh golly what two weeks off can do.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great challenge!After missing last week's due to holiday I had to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great challenge, I really enjoyed this one!
    Avril B

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely! I have a technique that I have not tried yet, but may for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fantastic challenge... though I cannot fulfill it, I enjoyed it and it was quite inspired to see everyone's beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Is a gallery pretty beautiful!!
    Congratulations to all!!

    Here is my card.
    God bless you!!
    Flor Dtoscana.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I loved this week's challenge! Certainly made me think and make something that is not my usual style at all! hugs Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi ladies,

    your cards are such an inspiration! Top challenge blog.

    Hugs,

    Lins

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great challenge! Lots of beautiful cards. Load mine up just in time :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Ooops, thanks for your lovely comment about my 2nd entry Chrissie and yes, you are quite right ........ I got so caught up in the inky theme that I forgot this week was ONE LAYER!!! Will try harder this week!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: SPAM COMMENTS WILL NEVER BE PUBLISHED!

Thank you for your support and encouraging messages. We love to see you on our personal blogs too.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.